Honeypot is one type of security mechanism which creates a virtual trap to lure attackers. This is an intentionally vulnerable computer system that allows attackers to exploit the vulnerabilities. It is also one type of deception technology that will make you understand the behavioral pattern of the attacker. Usually, that security team uses the honeypots to investigate the cybersecurity breaches and how they collect intel for cybercriminals operation. By doing this operation, you can reduce the risk of false things compare with the cybersecurity measures.
Type of Honeypot Deployment:
There are total of three types of honeypot deployment available. Those are discussing below:
- Pure honeypots: This takes care of a complete production system that gets an attack through bug taps then it will get connected with the honeypot. They are very unsophisticated.
- Low-interaction honeypots: It imitates the service and system, which mainly attracts criminal attention. That time Honeypot will collect the data from the blind attacker like worms, malware, botnets, etc.
- High-interaction honeypots: This is a very complex setup that looks like the real production of infrastructure. They do not restrict the activity level, which provides extensive cybersecurity. Honeypot also has higher maintenance and expertise in additional technology, including virtual machines. This ensures that the attacker will not be able to access the real system.
Benefits of Honeypots:
Just to place honeypot to your network will not complete your needs; there are other few security controls available such as intrusion detection systems, firewalls, intrusion prevention systems, and much more. Benefits are described below:
- It helps to distract the cybercriminal so that they cannot target the legitimate system. The more time they spend on the honeypot, the less you have to invest in the system to attract them.
- It gives you the best visibility so that attacks can happen quickly. The attacker does the keystroke to send the instant alerts and the scammer gets an attempt to access the system.
- You can even monitor the attacker’s behavior and detect the vulnerabilities. Another side you need to release the published signature so that you can identify the attack.
- Honeypot will help you to put the organization’s incident response capabilities for the test. You need to prepare your team to take appropriate countermeasures to block that attacker and his access.
- Honeypot also helps to improve your company’s all over security. It mainly put the light on the attackers so that you can formulate the correct prevention strategies.
- Honeypot is a very cost-effective method, and it is also a good investment, but it will only interact when the malicious activity happens, and it does not require any high-performance resource for controlling the network traffic for an attack.
- It can capture all types of malicious activity, though attackers use encryption.
- Honeypot collects the data from the attacks which including unauthorized activity, a rich source of useful information, and much more.
Cyber threats will continue where honeypot will help the organization to keep the ever-changing threat landscape. Though it is impossible to predict but you can prevent every attack with the help of a honeypot.
It always provides useful information and makes sure that organisation can prepare for the reaction in the attacker act. This a good place for the cybersecurity professional to get all hacking-related information. source
How Can ITM Help You?
iTM covers all aspects of Cyber Security including but not limited to Home cyber security managed solutions to automated, manage threat intelligence, forensic investigations, Cloud security best practice & architecture and cyber security training. Our objective is to support organisations and consumers at every step of their cyber maturity journey. Contact Us for more information.